Visit Main Site

Dorset services

Advocacy for young people

Advocacy for young people

Advocacy is a service which helps you to access your rights and express your point of view with the support of a professional advocate.

This service is available for children and young people, aged 8 to 18,  in the BCP (Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole) council area.  If you use this service, an advocate will work with you on a one-to-one basis to make sure your thoughts are heard and considered when decisions are being made about your life.

An advocate is independent from your social worker and family.

"It was good having an advocate because I would never have been strong enough to say how I felt and she helped me through everything".

- Advocacy service user

If you are a young person in care, or you are involved with children’s social care for some other reason, you may be entitled to an independent advocate.

An advocate can help you if:

  • You need something started, changed or stopped, for example, if you are unhappy about the way you are being treated by social services or you are worried about plans being made, such as a move
  • You have a meeting coming up and need some support to make sure your voice is heard
  • You need information and advice and want to know your rights
  • You would like to make a complaint


Find out more about how an advocate can help make your voice heard by watching the short video below.




"Having an advocate really encouraged me to speak up"

- Advocacy service user


For more information about accessing Action for Children's advocacy services, you can call us on 01202 525643, text 07889 604216 or email


Need information or advice?

Find a list of organisations who can offer you support.

Visit the useful links page